|Joseph Cincotta, MD|
- Make sure that guns are unloaded and stored in a locked location, preferably out of a child’s reach and sight.
- Store ammunition in a different locked location from the gun, preferably out of a child’s reach and sight.
- Keep keys and combinations hidden from children.
- Do not leave your gun unattended when it is not locked up.
- Use gun locks.
- Do not leave guns, loaded or unloaded, anywhere where a child can access them (nightstand, table, etc.)
- Talk to older children about gun safety. Let them know that they should tell an adult immediately if they find one.
- Talk to your child’s other caregivers about gun safety.